Search This Blog

Saturday, November 05, 2005

Chuck Shuck is My Hero



Chuck Shuck is one of my favorite students of all time. Chuck joined the army long before 9/11. He was stationed in Alaska for several years - then he served two tours of duty in Iraq - right now he is stationed in Texas. As you can see Chuck is a military policeman. He has been in harm's way many times in Iraq.

Chuck loves to e-mail. He writes to everybody. He particularly likes to write to elementary students. When on leave - he often visits classrooms of students that send mail and presents to him in Iraq. He is a perfect gentlemen and his manners are perfect. I am honored and proud to be his teacher.

Chuck grew up in Lansford, Pennsylvania, a small coal mining town in the Appalachian Mountains. He had every reason to not turn out as well as he has. He enjoyed participating in school activities - he was a manager for several sport's teams particularly girls' teams - he loved the scenery. Chuck loved to joke and tease the teachers. And his attendance was almost always perfect.

In these pictures you see Saddam Hussein's mansion - Chuck lived there for several months. He enjoyed putting his feet up on the furniture. The other picture is Chuck beside his patrol car in Texas.

You can write to Chuck at - charles.shuck@us.army.mil - some of you will take this chance to tell Chuck what a jerk I am. Guess what - he already knows.

Chuck will not like it when I say this - "Support Our Troops - Bring Them Home." - he is fighting for my freedom to say that. Freedom means tolerating others.

When people like to put down today's youth - I chuckle and think of Chuck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Mr. Everhart,
I've been emailing with Chuck for some time now. I cannot really remember how we first starting emailing with one another to be honest with you, I'm just glad we did. As I read your entry here I kept saying to myself "Yes, Chuck is a fine young man for sure." I couldn't agree with you more about all the nice things you said about him. I have an eight year old grandson that is having a hard time in school and asked Chuck if he would email him. Of course he did, he's that sort of caring young man. I only wish I could have taken a picture of my grandson when he opened his email and saw that first email from Chuck. Now that Summer is here however I cannot get him anywhere near the computer. lol
Though we've never met in person I feel blessed to have had Chuck come into my life via the internet and blessed to call him my friend.
Thank you for being his teacher and for the part you had in the wonderful young man he's become.
Take care,
Vickie in Indiana